Exciting job opportunities. Bold lifestyle adventures. A culture of collaboration. Interested? Let’s talk.
Who we are:
Hudbay Minerals Inc. is a vertically integrated mining company that operates mines, concentrators, and metal production facilities. Our vision is of a growing, well managed and consistently profitable company that provides value to our shareholders. Exploration success and continuous improvement in safety, health, environment, and operating performance drive the company’s value. Our employees at every level of the company demonstrate ethics and integrity, take on accountability and achieve success. Strategic planning is a core strength with plan execution enhanced by high levels of understanding and collaboration. Our company strives to build mutual trust and respect with all of our stakeholder groups.
The Copper Mountain mine currently produces approximately 100 million pounds of copper equivalent per year. With a future mill expansion and the integration of New Ingerbelle, the Copper Mountain Mine is expected to produce approximately 140 million pounds of copper equivalent per year over the first 20 years of its 32-year mine life based on reserves. Copper Mountain is committed to the safe, responsible mining of copper, which is vital to powering a clean-energy future.
Hudbay Minerals Inc. is seeking a Metallurgy Co-op Student at our Copper Mountain Mine in Princeton, BC. This position is a 5/2 schedule
Please note that this opportunity is NOT a fly-in-fly-out position.
Become a Part of Our Team
As we continue to grow Copper Mountain Mining Corporation, many career development opportunities are available for motivated and goal-oriented individuals.
Work with us and you will benefit from the mentorship and guidance of experienced team members because we understand that to accomplish our goals, we must work as a team and rely on the effort of every team member.
Metallurgy Co-op Student
Copper Mountain Mine, is located near the town of Princeton, British Columbia at the center of the scenic Similkameen Valley. Princeton is a community-oriented town with a diverse offering of activities, especially for those who love the outdoors. Princeton is also in close proximity to both the city of Vancouver and the Okanagan.
Reporting to the Chief Metallurgist the Student, Metallurgy (Co-op) is responsible for applying their metallurgy knowledge to support the Metallurgy Department. The student will gain valuable hands-on experience, as an included member of the metallurgy team. This position is a temporarry one for an 8-month term.
- Performs daily reporting of operational data and KPIs, including crushing circuit, mill, and tailings availability,
- Leads sampling process in the mill, which can be routine (e.g., weekly pebble crusher feed and product samples) to campaign-based, such as a comprehensive grinding or flotation survey,
- Tests work in the metallurgical lab, including sample preparation, processing, data collection, and analysis,
- Analyzes the data, report, and draws conclusions,
- Supports mill maintenance team by tracking wear components, such as cone crusher liners, and interfaces directly with the maintenance department to schedule their replacement,
- Practices safe work behaviours and supports the Copper Mountain Mine safety culture through participation and leading daily and monthly safety meetings and initiatives,
- Adheres strictly to personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements in all areas while on mine property,
- Follows all Company policies, procedures, and standard operating procedures (SOPs),
- Assists the Metallurgical department as directed by the Supervisor,
- Assists the Metallurgical team in the safe and efficient performance of monitoring, sampling, and balances within the concentrator and tailings area,
- Assists with ensuring production and quality criterion are met and work to optimize mill performance,
- Works with technical personnel, operations, and maintenance person,
- Performs other responsibilities related to the Metallurgy Co-op Student role as required or as assigned by the department head.
Education & Experience
- Enrolled in a University degree in Engineering or equivalent, must be a 2nd year or above student,
- Mill Processing experience is considered an asset,
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office,
- Possess a valid Class 5/7N driver’s license and have access to personal transportation.
- Strong verbal and communication skills,
- Quick learner and adaptable to an ever-changing environment,
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus to meet tight timelines during hectic periods,
- Ability to work independently as well as function as an effective team member,
- Work consists of a team environment with regularly scheduled and ad-hoc meetings,
- Frequent exposure to driving in congested high traffic mining and construction areas under varying weather conditions,
- Required to be clean-shaven.
- Role requires the employee to walk in similar congested/high traffic construction areas as well as more remote areas on site (uneven footing is commonplace),
- Work required frequent lifting/carrying up to 20 kgs.
- Successful completion of pre-employment screening requirements and drug & alcohol testing,
- A class 5 driver's license and a relatively clean driver's abstract are required for this position,
- Demonstrate eligibility to work in Canada,
- Provide confirmation of valid educational requirements.
Copper Mountain Mine is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. While we consider all qualified applicants for employment and thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.