Manager - Electrical Engineering
This role offers a great opportunity to create and sustain next-generation, energy efficient, intelligent, wired and wireless lighting control systems for Automotive and off highway applications. The ideal candidate will have a broad base of knowledge that includes digital and analog circuit design, sensor integration, and networking in high-volume, high-reliability applications as well as experience building and managing high performance engineering teams.All aspects of product development are in scope, from ideation and system architecture to delivering designs that can be efficiently manufactured in high volume and sustaining the solutions including engineering support.Prior experience working to Automotive requirements for Electrical performance as well as ISO 26262 requirements related to functional safety is highly desirable.
- Lead a electrical hardware engineering team and participate in all aspects of recruiting, mentoring, performance management and training.
- Drive on-time execution, cycle time and escaping defects reduction following The Product Development Process used at Grote Industries.
- Project manage hardware development and work with PMO resources on alignment with peer led projects for overall solution delivery
- Apply technical leadership, excellence in people management and commitment to the highest standards of program execution to operate successfully within a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary team.
- Identify new hardware capabilities, innovations, and technologies. Propose initiatives to implement new capabilities and lead, monitor and evaluate their success.
- Collaborate with a matrix of peers, suppliers and customers including Firmware development, QA, Product Management, Supply Chain, etc.
- Evaluate existing and emerging technologies to identify solutions that will reliably operate in a wide range of installed environments
- Clearly communicate design and component constraints and trade-offs to other team members and management, playing an advisory role as a subject matter expert to ensure that optimal design decisions are made
- Evaluate Intellectual Property (IP) landscape to identify risks created by existing IP and opportunities for creating valuable new IP
- Work closely with manufacturing to ensure that designs meet manufacturability and testing criteria and sustain these products in manufacturing
- Develop and distribute engineering data in the form of Engineering Change Notices, Bills of Material and parts tracking
- Perform system integration and validation testing activities, including verification of interoperability with customer-supplied peripherals.
- Mentor team members on technical and professional subjects to strengthen their capabilities and those of the overall team
- Develop capacity and resource plans for the product portfolio development
- Drive a continuous improvement culture
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (EE), Computer Engineering (CE), or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience managing an engineering team
- 10+ years of experience of engineering products or solutions
- Expertise in analog and digital low voltage circuit design, PCB design and layout using Altium or similar software package
- Experience in modeling, p-spice simulation, circuit analysis, worst case thermal analysis, MTBF and product lifetime expectancy calculation
- Experience with communication and networking protocols (I2C, SPI, RS-485, Ethernet, etc.)
- Experience with wireless communication protocols (Wi-Fi, ZigBee, Bluetooth, BLE, Proprietary, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to devise novel technical solutions, lateral thinking (applying known solutions to new problems in related fields), willingness to challenge existing practice (technical, testing, manufacturing), willingness to add new functionalities to existing products or to start entire new product categories
- Experience in debugging embedded solutions using tools such as debuggers and scopes
- Experience in recreating sporadic types of issues/failures using various debugging techniques
- Experience with Automotive requirements and solutions for EMC/EMI protocols desired
- Strong project management skills – demonstrated ability to take projects from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Hands-on experience with soldering, board bring-up and component-level debugging
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and drive things to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills