Parent Peer Support Position
Parent Peer Support Position Maples Adolescent Treatment Centre
● 17.5 Hours Per Week
● Work onsite at the Maples in Coquitlam and from a home office
For more than 20 years, FamilySmart has been working in B.C. to help children and young people by helping their family and other caring adults. We know children and young people do better when the adults who care about them are supported.
Parent Peer Support Workers are parents and caregivers of children or youth with mental health and/or substance use challenges. Your personal parenting experience is the primary requirement for this role. Your experiences will help other families find help, comfort, hope, and feel less alone.
As a Parent Peer Support Worker, you are working as part of the multidisciplinary team at the
Maples Adolescent Treatment Centre. In this role, you will provide peer support to families and caregivers whose children and youth are experiencing difficulty with their mental health and/or with substance use who are waiting for and/or currently receiving services at the Maples and/or have transitioned back to their home community.
The Parent Peer Support Worker provides peer support to families and caregivers by:
● Working as part of the multi-disciplinary team at the Maples
● Providing emotional support to families and caregivers
● Sharing information and resources with families and caregivers
● Offering knowledge/education to families and caregivers
● Helping families and caregivers navigate (find their way to) services
● Building on parents and caregivers strengths and offering hope
● Meeting with families and caregivers in-person, by video chat, phone and email
You do not need to be an expert in mental health and/or substance use, your family's experience is enough. familysmart.ca
● Are good at building relationships
● Make connections easily
● Demonstrate compassion and care to others
● Are able to work well with Service Providers and as part of a multidisciplinary team
● Have strong verbal and written skills in English (support available for the successful candidate)
● Good working knowledge of Google Workspace, including gmail, calendar and docs
● Can pass a criminal records check
● Have the ability to work from a home office and at the Maples in Coquitlam, B.C.
Preference will be given to individuals who:
● have strong ties and/or an in-depth understanding of Indigenous culture, traditions and language.
● have experience working with diverse populations including Indigenous and multicultural communities
FamilySmart provides excellent support, supervision and training and will help you learn and develop the skills that we have discovered to help families and service providers work well together.
We invite you to apply, and to learn more about this unique role. At FamilySmart, experience with the child and youth mental health and/or substance use system is very important to us.
Please consider including in your cover letter a little information about why this is important to you as well. Please send your resume and cover letter to Robin Brown, Director, HR at [email protected] Subject line: Parent Peer Support Worker: Maples
Please note that the assessment of applicants will be made on an ongoing basis and continue until a hire is made.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
FamilySmart is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to age, ancestry, colour, family status, marital status, physical or mental disability, place of origin, political belief, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and criminal conviction unrelated to employment. familysmart.ca
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 17.5 per week
Salary: $25.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Coquitlam, BC V3C 4J2: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Coquitlam, BC V3C 4J2