OVERVIEW OF WAYPOINTS:
Waypoints’ is a registered, non-profit charity that has been operating in Fort McMurray since 1982. Waypoints offers facilities, programs and services for people that have experienced or are experiencing family violence, sexual violence, or need counselling services in the Wood Buffalo region. Waypoints also provides the region with public awareness events, initiatives, and educational programs to reduce family and sexual violence. Waypoints owns and operates the Compass, a 78-unit affordable housing, rental, apartment building, Unity House, a 45-bed Emergency Women’s Shelter; a 14-unit Second Stage Shelter; the Sexual Assault Healing Centre; the Opportunities for Change Program; the Outreach Landing; and the Care Centre for Children & Youth, home of the region’s Child and Youth Advocacy Centre.
Reporting to: Outreach Manager
Position Profile:Full-time, Monday to Friday (37.5 hours per week).
- Some evenings and weekends work with ability to flex hours.
- Extensive travel within the RMWB is required, including via small plane.
- $37.40 per hour ($31.00 per hour, plus an additional $6.40 per hour Cost of Living Allowance to a maximum of $480 bi-weekly).
- Annual salary is $72,930 (including COLA).
Waypoints’ Outreach Program is responsible for providing counselling, support, education, and awareness throughout all communities within the Wood Buffalo region. The Outreach Coordinator will provide culturally appropriate, inclusive, and flexible Level 1 counselling, and at times, case management services to individuals that are referred to the Outreach Program. This position will support individuals within the region, including Fort McMurray, Fort McKay, Fort Chipewyan, Anzac, Janvier and Conklin. The Outreach Coordinator will not only provide clients with one-on-one Level 1 counselling supports, but will facilitate group sessions, build capacity, and collaborative relationships throughout the region. It is imperative that this role operate from both a trauma-informed, and an Indigenous-informed framework. This role will be required to assist in the facilitation of public education and capacity building efforts throughout the region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide therapeutic Level 1 counselling to referred individuals (including self-referrals) through individual, and/or group sessions.
- Complete safety plans, danger assessments and other necessary assessments to help maintain client safety and guide client-management.
- Maintain accurate statistical information, prepare, and submit monthly program reports as required. (e.g., incident reports, case notes, number of clients served, client letters, monthly reports to Manager, etc.).
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with Outreach Team and other departments to provide effective and holistic services to clients.
- Participate in regular Clinical Supervision processes.
- Assist as needed in the planning and execution of public awareness events.
- Assist as needed in the co-facilitation of community presentations as part of Waypoints’ public awareness and prevention efforts.
- Foster connections in the region with service providers, including RCMP, Athabasca Tribal Council, school districts, etc. to ensure the most effective service delivery for clients.
- Represent Waypoints in a professional manner throughout the region.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in social work.
- Must be registered and in good standing with an Alberta or recognized governing, professional body.
- Experience working with Indigenous populations.
- Minimum 2 years’ career experience providing support and Level 1 counselling services.
- Must have some of knowledge in the areas of complex and multifaceted social services issues.
- Experience facilitating group programming.
- Must have a class 5 driver’s license and own a vehicle that can be used for work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Indigenous ancestry.
- Effective computer skills, (eg. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and ability to complete statistical reporting.
- Current certification in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Current Emergency First Aid and CPR C.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $30.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Mandatory proof of full Covid-19 vaccination required (by submitting a copy of provincial vaccination record), OR agreement to providing 2 negative covid-19 tests per week at the employee’s cost.
Work Location: In person